[My name is Eric Roussell Jr. and I have the esteemed privilege of teaching English at Southside High School. Here below I've typed up a summary of what was discussed in today's COVID-19 Update from Principal Cedric Brown for those that may have missed it.]
1) Opening - “This is an unforeseen tragic moment.” - Teachers and administrators are working to make sure students have work regardless of access. Meeting their needs comes first.
2) REPORT CARDS WERE SENT TO THE ADDRESSES IN OUR SYSTEM ON MARCH 30, 2020. - Parents should have seen or be seeing the report cards by Monday, April 6, 2020.
3) We as a staff have reached about 200 parents so far to discuss internet access and how instruction will continue.
4) Some seniors are graduates - IF they have earned all 24 credits between their core and elective classes. Some seniors are not in good standing and will be required to complete some type of make-up to be considered graduates. The school year is still set to end May 22, 2020 so seniors in need have time to discuss any available options for them to earn their necessary credits..
a) If students were in good standing with ACCESS courses, those classes are ended UNLESS those are for core classes.
5) 9th-11th grade students - should have received a call from at least one teacher regarding internet access. Beginning on Monday, April 6, 2020, students should be active in Google Classroom as assignments will start.
**Only for 9-11th grade core classes, those enrolled in Health or Arts Survey, and Seniors that need it**
a) Paper packets will be available for pick-up at the following locations on Monday, April 6, 2020 and Thursday, April :
1) 10:00-11:05 - Chevron on Highway 80 E
2) 11:15-12:00 - Potter’s Place parking lot
3) 12:05-1:15 - Selmont Community Church
4) 1:30-2:45 - Curb Market
5) 3:00-4:30 - Sardis Post Office
• Senior Trip - Students that paid for senior trip may be refunded at those locations.
• Graduation & Prom - still planning to have a graduation and a prom, looking at dates in June and July for both.
• Josten’s Senior Gear - Josten’s pick-up date is April 21, 2020 from 11-1 in front of Southside High School.
• Follow the Southside High School page for further updates.
a) Do we pick up caps & gowns on the 21st also? Yes, as long as you are in good standing with Josten’s.
b) Are we refunding for softball? We’ll have to get more details from the coach.
c) Do 11th graders have to pick up work? Yes, 9th-11th graders have work in their core classes along with health and arts survey if theu are in those classes.
d) Do seniors have work to pick up next week too? As long as they have earned their 24 necessary credits, they are graduates. Only seniors that need to finish a class or have been contacted by a teacher.
e) What about vocational? All vocational training has been suspended for the time being.
f) What if they don’t meet the standards? They can access credit recovery online and the teacher should have contacted them.
g) Do they have to have a password for Google Classroom? The students should understand and have the necessary information to do the work required by their teachers.
h) What if your parents have to work on the pickup dates and don’t have a way? Phone a friend and ask them to get it for you. We’re trying to make sure the needs of students are met.
i) Is the ACT retake cancelled? Yes, you should recieve information from ACT about new dates for testing.
j) Alabama State University and Miles College are waiving ACT/SAT requirements.
k) Will we be given teachers phone numbers to contact about work? Email is the preferred method of contact and teacher email addresses are available for further contact.
l) Will the students that don’t meet the requirements be notified of their status? If the average you saw on the report cards was passing, the senior has passed. If the grade was failing or incomplete, then the student should check online platforms for contact from the teacher regarding their grade.
m) What about the students who wanted to retake the ASVAB? Those students need to contact a local military recruiter.